Thursday, February 4, 2016

Telling about Interesting News or Information and Responding to It

Telling about Interesting News or Information and Responding to It

Let read the following dialogs
Dialog 1.
Thomas : Did you hear that Anton was called to the principal's office again?
Andre : No way!
Thomas : It's true. He skipped school yesterday.
Andre : Why doesn't he learn from his past mistakes? His parents must be so sad.
Thomas : Yes. He has been told off before, but he doesn't seem to have changed.
Andre : Unfortunately, we can do nothing, right?
Thomas : Right




Dialog 2.
Jane : Tommy, I tried to find your name on the facebook, but I couldn't find it.
Tommy : Sorry, Jane. I don't have a facebook account.
Jane : What? I don't believe it. Almost everyone has it, you know.
Tommy : I don't think it gives me much benefits.
Jane : Let me tell you this. I have a facebook account. It enables me to make friends with people from abroad. So, I can improve my English.
Tommy : Is that so?
Jane : Yup!

In dialog 1, Thomas said, "It's true. He skipped school yesterday." to give information. Meanwhile, in dialog 2, Jane said "Let me tell you this. I have a facebook account. It enables me to make friends with people from abroad. So, I can improve my English." to tell about interesting news.

Here are some expressions to tell about interesting news or information and their possible responses.
Telling about Interesting News or Information.
  • Guess what!
  • Let me tell you this.
  • I'll tell you what!
  • I've got good news.
  • Have you heard the news?
  • Look at this! You won't believe it.
  • I've got hot news. Want to hear it?
Responding
  • You are terrific!
  • Is that true?
  • I can't believe it.
  • I'm glad to hear that.
  • I'm happy with the news.
  • I can feel that you're happy.
  • Really?
  • Wow!
  • Amazing
  • Wonderful!
  • That's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment