Sunday, January 31, 2016

Expressing Politeness

Expressing Politeness


Politeness is behaving in a way that is not rude and shows that you do not only think about yourself. Thus, we must be polite an we must express our politeness to others.

To make your request sounds polite, you may use the following words.

  • Please, at the beginning or the end of your sentence.
  • Modals, like can, will, could, would, may. Only use could and would in a formal situation or when you are talking with someone you haven't known before.

Here are some expressions used to express politeness and their possible responses.
Expressions of Politeness
  • Open the door, please.
  • Can you help me bring the books?
  • Will you accompany me to the library, please?
  • Excuse me, Where is the Principal's office?
  • Would you tell me where the Principal's office is, please?
  • Could you tell me where the Principal's office is?
  • Would you mind ...?
  • May I help you ...?
  • Could you please ...?
  • Would you please ...?
Responses
  • All right
  • With pleasure 
  • Certainly
  • Sure
  • Of course I would
  • I'd like to
  • Okay
  • No, thank you
  • I'm sorry, but ...
The text above is the example of the expressions of politeness. You may use those expressions when you talk with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment