Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Asking for, Giving, Declining Opinions

Asking for, Giving and Declining Opinions


Let's read the following dialog.
Boy      : Mom, what do you think of my watch?
Mother : Wow! I think it's very nice. who bought you the watch?
Boy      : I bought it myself. I've saved some of my pocket money to buy it.
Mother : Nice son!

The sentence "Mom, what do you think of my watch?" is an expressions to ask for an opinion. Meanwhile, the sentence "I think it's very nice" is an expression to give an opinion.

The following are other sentences used to ask for, give and decline opinion.
Asking for Opinions
  • What's your opinion about my problem?
  • What's your idea?
  • What do you feel ...?
  • Do you think it is O.K. if I call him?
  • Do you have any idea?
Giving Opinions
  • I think ...
  • In my opinion, ...
  • We had better ...
  • I think so.
  • To my mind, ....
Declining Opinions
  • I don't think it's a good idea.
  • Sorry, I don't have one.
  • I have different opinions.
  • I don't think so. In my view, ...
  • I disagree with your idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment